On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 02:27:44PM +0100, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> 2013/12/11 Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net>
> >
> > My ancient printer's ink cartridge has finally dried up
> > & the mobo in my regular computer accepts only USB.
> > I don't do much printing, but occasionally need a few pages.
> >
> > The local store has an HP Deskjet 2510 on sale this week.
>
> Regarding HP printers and hplip, I recommend buying a printer which does
> not require a binary plugin [1]. First they are a source of trouble and
> second the binary plugins are not supported by Gentoo which means there is
> no maintainer for a plugin ebuild [2]. Plugin installation currently is not
> under contol of the package manager and hplip tries to automagically
> download and install the plugin which often fails.

I never came to like Ink-squirters. All the mess with dried up print
heads, planned-obsolescence and ink more expensive than blood.

I am also quite tired of hplip. At some point foo2zjs was masked in
portage (never bothered finding out why), so I had to migrate. Hplip is
just another thing that puts itself into the tray, but needs cups
nonetheless. The download of the printer plugin (or rather, its
installation) fails b/c it needs python 2, but doesn't explicitly state
that. So if you have python 3 as your system version, the python script
fails.

I have a laserjet 1000, bought in 2004, it's even still got the original
cartridge. It may not be fast and has no duplex mode, but it suits my
needs.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

The best camouflage is the truth: nobody will believe it anyway!