On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 10:05:26 +0000
Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:

> Umbrello and KDE are now gone, but it seems a ghost of KDE remains
> somewhere.  There's a ghost of gnome, too - when I startx, I still get
> these messages on the screen:

With app-portage/portage-utils installed, do:

    qlist -IC gnome-base gnome-extra kde-base kde-misc

This will give you an overview of what's still around of those two.

>     xfce4-session: GNOME compatibility is enabled and
> gnome-keyring-daemon is found on the system. Skipping gpg/ssh-agent
> startup. env: kdeinit4: No such file or directory env: qdbus: No such
> file or directory

The gnome-keyring-daemon comes from gnome-base/gnome-keyring; as for
the other files not found, they seem to be started from somewhere in
your config. I'd suggest `grep -r '\(kde\|qdbus\)' /etc` to check where
these are launched from. Maybe in ~/.config you might be able to find
and/or purge more.

> > You'll want to start with inspecting ~/.xinitrc; from there on, look
> > into the configuration of both your session and X itself.
>
> My ~/.xinitrc contains but a single line, "exec startxfce4".  It's not
> obvious, from reading the man pages, where this mysterious
> configuration is done.

Looks good.

In older versions (4.0) $XFCE4HOME contains config, it default to
~/.xfce4/; in newer versions (4.2) XDG has been adopted and things are
split over $XDG_CACHE_HOME and directories under $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS. The
latter defaults to /etc/xdg and I think /etc/xdg/autostart/ might be of
interest to investigate here as well.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D