On 01/16/2014 11:55 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2014-01-15 9:11 PM, Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Did you mean it doesn't seem to affect the GUEST shutdown?

Yes, the guest shutdown seems to still be working. I've tested both
manual (i.e. asking for a guest shutdown) and it works, and I've set up
my APC ups to shutdown the host and all VMs, again all working. If
you're interested in the howtos for the APC shutdown I think I have a
bookmark around somewhere.

> And do the tools actually successfuly start after those warnings?

Yes, as far as I can tell. Seems I can't copy and paste to/from my local
clipboard though when in vSphere. Maybe that's what's broken. SSH gets
me around that.

> This is something I'm getting ready to tackle myself so am very
> interested...
>
> My primary concern is that the host (ESXi 5.0) can safely shut down my
> gentoo guest. Obviously I too would prefer not to have any ugly
> warnings, unless they are indeed harmless.

So far it seems to be harmless. I put syslog-ng in the boot runlevel so
it doesn't clutter up the service startup.

I've tried an emerge -euDN world on one of the VMs with no results so
I'm pretty sure that it's something in the open-vm-tools package that's
not quite right. I also tried enabling VMCI to a VM to test, still no-go.

If you google it apparently it's cluttering up Windows event logs too,
it's not just linux guests.

Dan