On 01/16/2014 01:35 PM, Jarry wrote:

> BTW if all you want is safe shutdown, it can be done even without
> vm-tools (which I personally do not like at all). In vSphere-client
> I have "suspend" instead of shutdown (current state with memory
> snapshot is saved), from ESXi you'd have to play a little with
> /sbin/shutdown.sh script (i.e. with ssh/keys to log into all VM
> and shut them down), and for power-interruption you can use NUT
> (which I find better than apcupsd or PowerChute, because there is
> native NUT-client for ESXi)...
>
> apart from apcupsd
> you can use NUT (which I find better, there is native ESXi-client).
>
> Jarry

I did some testing a while back, suspending took significantly longer
than just shutting down the VMs. In my case I needed the Guest Shutdown
to work.

I don't run any UPS monitoring software on any VMs, I use the vMA
appliance with the APC PCNS software to signal the host of a failure.
The host then shuts down the VMs then powers down itself.

Dan