On Thu, Apr 17 2014, James wrote:

> If you guys are deep into hardware at NYU,

My group was back in the 1980s and 90s ("nyu ultracomputer" still gets a
bunch of google hits)

> I'd suggest getting friendly with one of the big semiconductor houses,

We did have industrial contact, chiefly with IBM.

> Dam, I'm now missing that sort of (U)) fun.....

Indeed it was an enjoyable period of my life.  A few years ago, I chose
to switch my emphasis from research projects to teaching, I enjoy both
but wanted to spend more time on the latter.

> So my sugestions is to participate in the NYU "Elipse Thinktank" to see
> what exactly they are planning for Eclipse.
>
> Gentoo has not always robustly embraced Java, as Python is the
> big daddy here, imho. So once you find out where NYU is headed for Eclipse
> you'll be just fine. Be careful, or you could easily be leading the charge:
> Java, Java, mocha Java....

Thanks.

It seems like I have the following choices

1.  Install eclipse-sdk from the main tree.
    I worry since it is masked.

2.  Install a source build from the seden overlay.  Garcia recommends
    eclim to permit editing with emacs or vim and hasn't mentioned if it
    works with the seden overlay source.  He says it doesn't work with
    the in tree source.

3.  Install a binary build from the java overlay.  Garcia believes
    this is compatible with eclim.

4.  Install a binary build from eclipse.org.  This gives the latest
    version.

allan