On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 16:08:18 -0400
gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:

> I get almost immediate segfaults.
>
> I type
>
>   eclipse-bin-7.2
>
> It is basically empty (no projects).
> I start a new project called "crash"
> I then expand the project, select "src", right click and say "new
> class" I call the class "Crash" and it give a correct skeleton
> I go to the blank line above "public class Crash {" and start to type
> "import java.util.scanner"
>
> I get as far as "import java." then it pops up a window with
> completions and segfaults.  It is quite repeatable.  This happens on
> a fresh install of eclipse-bin.

Eclipse SDK 4.2 works here; strange that it doesn't for you, it might
be some incompatibility perhaps with one or another library.

Given that it is binary I'm unsure if this can be debugged...

> Any advice?  Should I look for a binary on the eclipse site?

Yes, try one from the Eclipse site and put it in /opt/ (create symlinks
in /usr/local/bin/); there is 4.3 there, I think we need to bump to
that in the Java overlay at some point as 4.2 is getting somewhat old.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D