140428 Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 10:32:22AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
>> I never use Nano -- Vim or Ed are available in a raw terminal --
>> & would like to unmerge it, but Portage tells me
>>  virtual/editor  requires it &  @system  requires  virtual/editor .
> You can set your editor of choice with eselect:
>   eselect editor list
>   eselect editor set $(editor_of_choice)

I've done that, but it doesn't alter Portage behaviour.

> Usually nano can be removed with emerge --depclean

Yes, I can do 'emerge -C nano', but that is brute force & deprecated.

I've checked 'man portage' & 'man emerge' & the  virtual/editor  ebuild.
Acc to 'man portage' it sb possible to tell the virtual to accept Vim or Ed
via  /etc/make.profiles -> /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/13.0
by adding a file 'virtuals' w a line 'virtual/editor<tab>app-editors/vim',
but this has no effect.  The ebuild has a long list of possible editors,
incl Vim Ed Nano, but nothing singling out Nano,
so Portage must be getting its instruction from somewhere else.

Does anyone have better info ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca