On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 01:17:08 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:

> > Usually nano can be removed with emerge --depclean
>
> Yes, I can do 'emerge -C nano', but that is brute force & deprecated.

Deprecated? Really? I must have missed that. Brute force, maybe, but it
is the answer.

> I've checked 'man portage' & 'man emerge' & the  virtual/editor  ebuild.
> Acc to 'man portage' it sb possible to tell the virtual to accept Vim
> or Ed via  /etc/make.profiles
> -> /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/13.0 by adding a file
> 'virtuals' w a line 'virtual/editor<tab>app-editors/vim', but this has
> no effect.  The ebuild has a long list of possible editors, incl Vim Ed
> Nano, but nothing singling out Nano,

Except that nano is first in the list and portage takes the first
available dependency as satisfying the virtual. Unmerge nano and portage
will look at the rest of the list, be satisfied with vim and not try to
re-emerge nano.

--
Neil Bothwick

The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.