On Saturday 03 May 2014 14:17:53 J. Roeleveld wrote:

> With genkernel, I have a lvm and mdadm boot parameter.
> With dracut, that might also be necessary.
>
> I would prefer the initramfs to do it automagically without extra
> parameters.

Hope I'm not butting in here, but...

Although I don't run systemd nor do I have an initramfs, the grub.conf entry
for my LVM2 setup is just these two lines:

title=Gentoo Linux 3.12.13
        kernel /boot/kernel-x86_64-3.12.13-gentoo root=/dev/md5 net.ifnames=0

I've noticed several times (often much to my annoyance before I discovered
what to do about it*) that starting of the raid arrays is automatic,
apparently done by the kernel though I could be wrong about that. In fact I
was astonished to find not long ago that I'd been running for a year or two
with neither lvm2 nor mdraid installed!

* SystemRescueCD and the Gentoo minimal installation CD both start any raid
arrays they find and apply their own names to them. It is then impossible, or
so I thought, to resume an interrupted installation process. Of course, all I
had to do was "mdadm --stop /dev/md127" etc.

--
Regards
Peter