Am 14.05.2014 01:02, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
> On Wed, 14 May 2014 00:34:12 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>
>> How to transform partitions/directories set up with cryptsetup
>> into this new world? Set up a btrfs on top of the crypted fs ? I
>> ask because I look for a clean setup for my 2 thinkpads.
>
> Encrypt the partition(s) with cryptsetup and them use the devices
> in /dev/mapper to create the volumes. That's how I have my ZFS
> pools set up and I'm looking to do the same when I try BTRFS.

Doesn't that screw up the whole idea of checksumming etc ?

In my understanding the FS (=btrfs or zfs) should have the direct
contact to the "metal" (=hdd/sdd) to be fully able to detect bitrot
and stuff.

btrfs inside a crypted volume will work, yes, but it won't be able to
see or correct flipping bits on the hardware, because the underlying
layers of cryptsetup etc might hide them.

Right?