Am Fri, 16 May 2014 07:14:27 -0400
schrieb cov...@ccs.covici.com:

[...]
> Also, what kernel do you need for this to
> function -- and last question, how to convert an lvm volume to btrfs, or
> do you just have to make some space somewhere and copy the files?

I am not aware of being able to directly convert an LV; copying your files from
a backup (or whatever) to a newly created btrfs is AFAIK your only option. You
can directly convert Ext4 partitions, though (and even revert), though I have
not tried this myself.

As to the kernel version, the recommendation is to use the most recent stable
versions of the kernel and btrfs-progs.

> So far, I have liked lvm, what's the advantage of btrfs over lvm?

I also liked LVM while I had it, but I like btrfs even more :) . But yeah, this
has already been thoroughly answered. Additionally, you can also check the
thread "planned btrfs conversion: questions", which I started, where others also
posted their experiences with btrfs (and ZFS, too, to a smaller degree).

--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup