On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 05:27:44 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>> The second option does sound what I am looking for.  Basically, if I log
>> out but leave my computer on, leave home, some crook/NSA type breaks in
>> and tries to access something or steals my whole puter, they would just
>> get garbage for data.  That seems to fit the second option best.
>
> If they steal your computer they will have to power it off, unless you
> are kind enough to leave them a large enough UPS to steal along with it,
> so any encryption will be equally effective.

If you're worried about casual thieves then just about any kind of
properly-implemented encryption will stop them.

If you're worried about a government official specifically tasked with
retrieving your computer, my understanding is that it is SOP these
days to retrieve your computer without powering it off for just this
reason.  They won't use your UPS to do it.  Typically they remove the
plug just far enough to expose the prongs, slide in a connector that
connects it to a UPS, and then they pull it out the rest of the way
now powered by the UPS.

See something like:
http://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/hotplug_field_kit/

Presumably somebody who is determined will also have the means to
retrieve the contents of RAM once they seize your computer.  Besides
directlly accessing the memory bus I think most motherboards are not
designed to be secure against attacks from PCI/firewire/etc.

Rich