On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Alon Bar-Lev <alo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> [...]
>> > Incidentally, what exactly is wrong with systemd writing a dhcp server &
>> > client, and an ntp client? Is that project prohibited from writing such
>> > software? Are they not allowed to do it? Does it break legal laws? Is
>> > there an NDA or non-compete clause in the mix that I'm not aware of?
>> > Because they are the only things that could stop systemd from writing
>> > such code; without such prohibitions they are free to spend their time
>> > doing whatever they damn well please and if that means yet another dhcp
>> > implementation, so be it.
>>
>> Alan, thanks for succinctly putting why is absurd to complain about
>> someone else's desire to write whatever code she desires to write. And
>> to sharing it to the world! The HORROR!
>>
>> How *DARE* they to release their code? For free!
>>

> Once again, you do not understand the claim.

It is you who does not understand how software workds. See Alan response.

> If a user of Gentoo chooses to use non systemd profile, it means that
> we need to make sure systemd will not be a valid option, ever.

Again, you don't understand how software works: this has nothing to do
with "profiles", it has to do with the fact that UPower now relies on
systemd, and therefore people who has UPower installed now, *by
default*, require systemd. If they don't want systemd, there is a way
to do it, but it requires manual intervention since they now need to
first uninstall UPower.

> In this case, if it is to disable the upower USE flag, or to provide
> alternative, block newer version, whatever make it possible to have a
> system working without systemd.

It is provided:

emerge -C upower
emerge -1v upower-pm-utils

It has to be done manually, though; otherwise you step on systemd users.

> systemd should not be visible at any time, nor its implications.

Nobody is here to deal with other people's OCD.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias