On 6/3/2014 16:13, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Alon Bar-Lev <alo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Alan, thanks for succinctly putting why is absurd to complain about
>>> someone else's desire to write whatever code she desires to write. And
>>> to sharing it to the world! The HORROR!
>>>
>>> How *DARE* they to release their code? For free!
>>>
>> Once again, you do not understand the claim.
> It is you who does not understand how software workds. See Alan response.
>
>> If a user of Gentoo chooses to use non systemd profile, it means that
>> we need to make sure systemd will not be a valid option, ever.
> Again, you don't understand how software works: this has nothing to do
> with "profiles", it has to do with the fact that UPower now relies on
> systemd, and therefore people who has UPower installed now, *by
> default*, require systemd. If they don't want systemd, there is a way
> to do it, but it requires manual intervention since they now need to
> first uninstall UPower.
>
>> In this case, if it is to disable the upower USE flag, or to provide
>> alternative, block newer version, whatever make it possible to have a
>> system working without systemd.
> It is provided:
>
> emerge -C upower
> emerge -1v upower-pm-utils
>
> It has to be done manually, though; otherwise you step on systemd users.
>
>> systemd should not be visible at any time, nor its implications.
> Nobody is here to deal with other people's OCD.
>
> Regards.
FWIW, on my system, I had to mask "sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration"
for it to merge the udev update w/o trying to pull in systemd, et al.  i
didn't deep dive on what was trying to pull that in, but masking it
(plus a ton of other stuff I have masked) prevented portage from trying
to build a systemd based system.