On Friday 06 Jun 2014 12:18:09 Rich Freeman wrote:

> That would be udev.  It has been around long before systemd, and you
> must have missed the huge flamewar when they renamed it to
> systemd-udevd.  Maybe we'll see "java" renamed to
> "java-by-oracle-with-ask-toolbar" next.  :)

TBH I wouldn't be surprised.  At least java offers a choice of avoiding it.
;-)

> If you ever migrate to systemd you really just need to set USE=systemd
> and install systemd.  Portage will swap out your udev in the process,
> though nothing there will really change as systemd and udev install
> the same udev components.  There is a guide for installing systemd
> that you should follow which gets into all the details.

I didn't miss the flamewar.  Actually I recall joining in the fun and posting
the odd message about systemd.  I know that I could use eudev or systemd-udev
(or even mdev as kindly shared in this list by Walter).

I am mostly happy with openrc and therefore have no reason to move to the
systemd monoculture, unless gentoo falls in line with Debian et al. and leaves
me no choice.

--
Regards,
Mick