On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am mostly happy with openrc and therefore have no reason to move to the
> systemd monoculture, unless gentoo falls in line with Debian et al. and leaves
> me no choice.

I don't really see that happening anytime soon - it will be more
likely to become an issue for the more complex desktop environments
(Gnome is already going this way - KDE may very well go this way
later).  Historically they're the first packages to require things
like HAL, udev, dbus, pulseaudio, etc (and on Gentoo the maintainers
tend to do a good job of minimizing dependencies).

I think many will switch to systemd anyway, simply because that is the
way the wind is blowing and it does have some benefits depending on
your situation (but so do a number of other configurations).  I tend
to use it by default on new installs, and anytime I find myself
tweaking my monit rules I keep bumping up migrating entirely to
systemd a little higher on my to-do list.

Rich