On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 09:37 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:02:21 +0200, Frank Schafer wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering why there are these 4 digit numbers in front of the name
> > of each log file. This makes it hard to find the log for a single
> > package by name.
>
> Maybe some internal feature of portage?
>
> > What about changing the logfile names to:
> > package-version.log
> > package-version.msg?
>
> I like the idea of giving the two logs different names, it would make
> parsing this information with a script much easier. You'd still need some
> sort of unique identifier in the names, because you could merge the same
> package version more than once. But naming the files .log and .msg would
> at least allow the same identifier for both files for the same merge.

I wondered about this myself meanwhile. If the rebuild is caused by an
``emerge --sync && emerge -u world``, we have a new version number. If
the rebuild is caused by a USE flag change, I'd go the way I do if I
change configuration files:

mv package.version.log package.version.log.OLD
mv package.version.msg package.version.msg.OLD
emerge package
if [ emerge fails ]; then
        luckily we have the build log of the still installed package
else
        rm *.OLD
        We don't need install logs of packages which aren't installed, do we?
fi