I added nptl to my USE variables and tried to emerge glib.

        checking whether to compile timeloop... yes
        checking if building for some Win32 platform... no
        checking for thread implementation... posix
        checking thread related cflags... -D_REENTRANT
        checking for pthread_create/pthread_join... no
        checking for pthread_create/pthread_join in -lpthread... no
        checking for pthread_create/pthread_join in -lpthread32... no
        checking for pthread_create/pthread_join in -lpthreads... no
        checking for pthread_create/pthread_join in -lthread... no
        checking for pthread_create/pthread_join in -ldce... no
        configure: error: I can't find the libraries for the thread
implementation
                        posix. Please choose another thread implementation or
                        provide information on your thread implementation.
                        You can also run 'configure --disable-threads'
                        to compile without thread support.

        !!! Please attach the config.log to your bug report:
        !!! /var/tmp/portage/glib-2.6.5/work/glib-2.6.5/config.log

        !!! ERROR: dev-libs/glib-2.6.5 failed.
        !!! Function econf, Line 485, Exitcode 0
        !!! econf failed
        !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status
message.

The relevant line of /var/tmp/portage/glib-2.6.5/work/glib-2.6.5/config.log:
 $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share
 --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--with-threads=posix --disable-static --enable-gtk-doc

It seems that "nptl" is not being taken into account. Is this normal for
glib? If so, what can I do to provide the missing libraries?

(I know my system is somewhat broken, I'm just trying to fix it be
emerging some packages I suppose might be relevant...)

--
Jorge Almeida