Am 28.07.2014 23:20, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> As far as I understand this:
>
> if other ntp-software is installed, systemd-timedated.service uses the
> ntp-unit with higher priority (in my current case chronyd.service) for
> ntp-syncing.
>
> So you may use the systemd-timedated.service to do your settings and in
> the same setup let it use another ntp-daemon to actually do the syncing
> behind the curtains.

My tests show:

If I manually disable chronyd.service and then do "timedatectl set-ntp
yes" this enables and starts chronyd.service (in my case the higher
priority ntp.unit as mentioned before).

I might additionally emerge net-misc/ntp and see what happens ->

this adds

/usr/lib/systemd/ntp-units.d/60-ntpd.list

with "ntpd.service" inside ... so this would trigger ntpd.service if
chrony would not be installed?

And there is still /etc/systemd/ntp-units.d/ where you can override the
given priorities (if more than one ntp-capable package is installed).

-

I am quite happy with systemd controlling and using chrony here ... just
interesting how things are implemented here.

enough for today: 0:20am here, ntp-synced.

Stefan