On 1 August 2014 19:32:36 CEST, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Up-front disclaimer: Mostly [OT] post. But at least I'll test drive it
>on Gentoo before putting it in production :-)
>
>New job, new environment. Existing persons suffer from
>5-year-old-with-a-hammer syndrome and assume cron is the solution to
>all
>ills. Result: a towering edifice of cron jobs that may or may not
>clobber each other's work, may or may not work at all, and implement no
>error handling at all. But my god, can they spew out mail from STOUT
>

>But cron has only one event trigger: wall-clock time. And it's a very
>blunt weapon. I'm looking for recommendations of alternative schedulers
>that satisfy real-world business needs that need some other event
>trigger than what the time is right now.
>
>For those familiar with it, I'm looking for something with the useful
>feature set, without the useless features and without the price tag of
>ControlM
>
>Anyone care to share experiences?

I'm also looking for a free alternative.
At most of my clients, I see Tivoli Workload Scheduler (TWS) being used a lot.

It has most things what you want from an intelligent multi host scheduler.
Unfortunately,  it also comes with a corresponding price tag.

If anyone knows of an OS project with comparable features, please let me know.
Failing this, it is on my list to start writing one myself when I get some
spare time.

--
Joost