140802 J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Friday, August 01, 2014 12:26:59 PM Philip Webb wrote:
>> Not quite (smile) ! -- I ran into this & sent bugs to Gentoo + KDE ;
>> the outcome was that I discovered that Phonon doesn't in fact demand
>> that you install the actual sound software :
>> it works to do 'USE="gstreamer" --nodeps emerge phonon'
>> & Kdelibs then compiles successfully as well.
>> If you compile KDE outside Portage, there's a "nosound" flag,
>> but the Gentoo devs have implemented that to require
>'USE=<soundpkg>",
>> perhaps knowing that it cb happily ignored via '--nodeps'.
>> Just don't expect this to be documented anywere (grimace).
> Do you still have the bug numbers for this?

Gentoo 265864 , KDE 190601 ; also see Gentoo 454330 re Firefox.

> I have a few machines without any sound support. If I can remove
> the entire sound system from it, it would save time during the updates.

I have sound disabled in the kernel & no sound pkgs installed ;
I have had to install Phonon, but nothing to work with it.
I use several KDE apps, but run my desktop with Fluxbox.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca