On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 3:07 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 05:27:15 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
>> >   I buy machines with one ethernet interface.  What I find
>> > particularly annoying is this doublespeak about calling it
>> > "predictable".  Before the change, it was predicatbly "eth0".  Now,
>> > it's different on every different model.
>
>> It's not doublespeak, the interfaces are named exactly according to
>> where they are on the PCI bus. If you had two interfaces, they show up
>> to the kernel in random order by time and sometimes eth0/eth1 are nto
>> the same they were before the reboot.
>
> That may be true for PCI devices but not for USB ones. If you unplug a
> USB device and plug it back into the same port, it will get a different
> device number. The naming is more predictable, but it's not there yet.

That doesn't sound right. If unplugging a USB net device and plugging
it again *in the same port* results in a different device *name*, then
it is a bug and should be reported; the description of the algorithm
in [1] sounds like it should get always the same name for the same
port, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Regards.

[1]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/udev/udev-builtin-net_id.c#n51
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias