On 26/09/14 19:47, David W Noon wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 12:04:47 +0300, Samuli Suominen
> (ssuomi...@gentoo.org) wrote about "Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (viable)
> alternatives ?" (in <54252c2f.1030...@gentoo.org>):
>
> [snip]
>> Later kernels *can mark interfaces predictable in a new form of
>> metadata*, and udev >= 209 can
>> pick that information up, and then it won't do anykind of userspace
>> renaming on it, since kernel
>> has declared the interface name to be steady...predictable...always
>> same, so I hope
>> we are moving towards kernel assigning predictable names for all drivers
>> and we can get rid of
>> the userspace renaming of interfaces all together
> I hope these kernel-assigned interface names are configurable, as I have
> been naming the interfaces on my machines with *mnemonic* names for many
> years now. [These are names like "inet" and "lan" for interfaces that
> connect the machine to the Internet or my LAN.]  I certainly do not want
> to go back to "eth0" and the like -- or worse still, udev's
> "predictable" names -- as these are not mnemonic in any way.

Later kernel marks some drivers interface names "predictable" or
"stable", not sure which word is best to use here, and then udev
won't rename it by default to anything. The kernel assigned name
could be anything, and I doubt it's in the eth* namespace
And they can still be renamed by custom rules, that won't change,
it's just that they won't get renamed by *default* anymore