On 10/26/2014 04:16 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
> <a...@alectenharmsel.com> wrote:

>>> I let portage update the vanilla-sources and once in a while a build and
>>> install a new kernel. At the moment I am on 3.12.23. Maybe I install
>>> 3.12.30 tonight. If I find a good reason to do so.
>>>
>> What happens when you run `emerge --depclean`?
>>
>> I always un-keyword the exact version of vanilla-sources that I'm
>> running since I update and depclean on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge
>> fan of having a bunch of kernels under /usr/src/linux-* but only having
>> a couple of them compiled, but to each his own I guess.
> I have sys-kernel/vanilla-sources in package.keywords, unversioned. So
> depclean cleans away the older versions, and I keep the latest one.

I was mostly asking Volker since he has vanilla-sources unmasked without
specifying a version but is currently running the 3.12.23 kernel. Little
crazy imnho, but whatever.

> I'm on 3.17.1 right now, but the moment 3.17.2 comes out I will switch
> to it in all my machines: with kerninst is all of it mostly
> automatized.

Wow, daredevil right here ;). I usually wait until the current release
gets to the 3rd or 4th revision before updating to make sure all the
bugs are out. Had a few times where my laptop was not a fan of new
kernels - 3.16.1 wouldn't boot, for example.

> And with systemd, rebooting to a new kernel takes just a few seconds ;)

Must be nice; my laptop is so old that it boots slowly regardless of my
choice of init system.

Alec