On Friday, October 31, 2014 12:37:35 AM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:30 AM, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> >> This might come as a bit of a shock, but people use Gentoo for
> >> different reasons, run different init systems, different udev
> >> implementations, and so on.  Well, believe it or not, systemd users
> >> are exactly the same way and use different components of systemd for
> >> different reasons.  People also drive different types of cars, for
> >> different reasons.
> >
> > I agree on this. But in the thread I mentioned, Mark David Dumlao was
> > quite
> > aggressive in his wording when the subject was brought up and he claimed
> > systemd proponents don't care. Canek is the biggest proponent for systemd
> > on this list.
>
> You should have answered then to Mark, not to me, given that I did not
> said anything in that sub-thread.

My apologies.

> But if it makes you happy, I will try to take notes in the next Big
> SystemD Evil Conspiracy Meeting so in the future I do not contradict
> any statement from anyone in the Pure Evil Directorate.

I knew it! There really is one! :)

Thing is, I don't see any benefit, for myself, in systemd.
If people want to use it, fine.
But, if people are trying to force it upon everyone, then I will have a
problem with it.

Systemd is, in my opinion, suffering from the same feature-creep as Grub2 does.
Grub1 was faster, because it was smaller. But it isn't working propery anymore
and Grub2 does its job. I just don't see the point in all the multimedia stuff
that was put into a bootloader.

I just had a look at the use-flags for systemd, similarly to myself wondering
about multimedia support in grub2, I wonder why there is an HTTP-server
embedded in journald. I somehow doubt it has any real security on it and I
have seen programs write usernames and passwords to stdout/syslog when running
with the default log-levels.

--
Joost