On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 7:46 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/27/2014 12:56 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 1:38 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Last night when I powered off my machines NFS was working perfectly.  Today
>>> it's broken again for the nth time:
>>>
>>> #systemctl status nfs-server
>>> ● nfs-server.service - NFS server and services
>>>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib64/systemd/system/nfs-server.service; enabled)
>>>    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2014-10-27 11:50:38 PDT;
>>> 25min ago
>>>   Process: 896 ExecStopPost=/usr/sbin/exportfs -f (code=exited,
>>> status=0/SUCCESS)
>>>   Process: 893 ExecStopPost=/usr/sbin/exportfs -au (code=exited,
>>> status=0/SUCCESS)
>>>   Process: 939 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $RPCNFSDARGS (code=exited,
>>> status=1/FAILURE)
>>
>> I think I know the answer. Some days ago you moved /etc/conf.d for
>> NetworkManager to work, right? Where does the environment variable
>> RPCNFSDARGS is defined? I'm willing to bet that is in a /etc/conf.d
>> file.
>>
>> Could you please post here the contents of nfs-server.service, and if
>> it exists, the files inside /etc/systemd/system/nfs-server.service.d
>> and their contents?
>
> Bingo again :)  Your question led me to the answer, which I think is a bug
> in /usr/lib64/systemd/system/nfs-server.service.
>
> Here's why the bug showed up just this morning:  way back at the beginning
> of systemd I stole some .service files from RedHat Fedora, including one
> named 'nfs.service'.

Both RH and Gentoo have now adopted the upstream systemd units, which
don't include "nfs.service". But RH creates an "nfs.service" alias to
"nfs-server.service" so as not to upset RHEL sysadmin muscle memory
and scripts.

> Turns out the foreign RedHat file was starting rpcbind for me all those
> months and, when I deleted it last night, rpcbind didn't get started this
> morning by nfs-server.service from gentoo (which I think is a bug).

Does rpcbind.target exist? Does rpcbind.service have a "Requires" or
"Wants" for rpcbind.target? Is rpcbind.service enabled?

> #cat nfs-server.service
> [Unit]
> Description=NFS server and services
> Requires= network.target proc-fs-nfsd.mount rpcbind.target
> Requires= nfs-mountd.service
> Wants=rpc-statd.service nfs-idmapd.service rpc-gssd.service
> rpc-svcgssd.service
> Wants=rpc-statd-notify.service
>
> After= network.target proc-fs-nfsd.mount rpcbind.target nfs-mountd.service
> After= nfs-idmapd.service rpc-statd.service
> After= rpc-gssd.service rpc-svcgssd.service
> Before= rpc-statd-notify.service
>
> [Service]
> EnvironmentFile=/etc/conf.d/nfs
>
> Type=oneshot
> RemainAfterExit=yes
> ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $RPCNFSDARGS
> ExecStop=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 0
> ExecStopPost=/usr/sbin/exportfs -au
> ExecStopPost=/usr/sbin/exportfs -f
>
> ExecReload=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
> I can see that rpcbind.target is Required, but NOT rpcbind.service. AFAICT
> rpc.target does nothing (please explain if I'm wrong about that).
>

> BTW, /etc/conf.d/nfs doesn't define RPCNFSDARGS because it is intended
> for use by openrc (another bug?):

I don't have access to a Gentoo box with nfs at the moment in order to
check this but IIRC Gentoo used to use OPTS_RPC_NFSD, OPTS_RPC_MOUNTD,
OPTS_RPC_STATD but it's now using upstream's RPCNFSDARGS,
RPCMOUNTDARGS, STATDARGS, at least in its systemd units. Again IIRC
the ebuild only changes the upstream "EnvironmentFile=" value and
deep-sixes nfs-config.service.