On 31 October 2014 16:16:33 WET, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 31 October 2014 15:09:26 J. Roeleveld wrote:
>
> > I've got a few systems where grub1 doesn't work. This is more likely
> caused
> > by some changes in used filesystems instead of any other cause.
> > If I really wanted to, I might get it to work, but I don't see the
> point in
> > spending time on this.
> > Grub starts the boot process and then, afaik, disappears.
> > Which is sufficient for me.
>
> My grub-0.99 lets me choose from four kernels and two or three run
> levels at
> boot time, and grub-2 can't handle this yet, or it couldn't the last
> time I
> checked. I don't suggest that everyone has a similar need, but at
> least in
> some cases the old grub does still have a place.
>
> --
> Rgds
> Peter

Grub2 can do that in at least three different ways. You can write a complete
manual configuration, just like with 0.9,you can put a manual custom
configuration in /etc/grub.d or you can put a simple she'll script in that
directory that creates menu entries with each set of options for each kernel in
/boot.

None of these options are any more complex than creating a grub 0 configuration
by hand.