Michael Orlitzky <mjo <at> gentoo.org> writes:

> We're collecting more and more Nagios bugs every day, and we've been
> stuck on the 3.x series for a while even though upstream has moved to 4.x.

> The main problem as far as I can see is that nagios-plugins is a big
> mess, and it's hard for any one person to test. (We use it at work, but
> there's no ipv6 there, or ldap, or snmp, or game servers...)

Um, I'm not up on the results of the Nagios user revolt (fork) from
a few years ago. Maybe if you clarify that recent history more folks
would be interested in Nagios?

> I've rewritten the nagios, nagios-core, and nagios-plugins ebuilds, and
> will eventually ask permission to commit them to ~arch. That will rip
> the band-aid off, so to speak, after which I can work on addressing the
> existing bugs. But before I do, I'd like to have a few people test it
> and tell me it works.

Let's make a deal. Lots of folks are trying to get Nagios running
on Mesos/spark as a cluster based tool. Have your (hacks) efforts
focoused on runnning Nagios on a mesos/spark cluster? My good friend
and dev-in-making Alec has graticiouly put working versions of both
mesos and spark on his git_tub_club collection:

https://github.com/trozamon/overlay/tree/master/sys-cluster

http://caen.github.io/hadoop/user-hadoop.html#spark

> So if anyone is using nagios, please give these a try.

I think the Nagios user community is now splintered (it's been
a while since I looked at Nagios seriously) cause the "main dude"
became such a *F!zt* so that most users left his fiefdom. Has that
changed? Do illuminate the recent history of Nagios, please?

Something in the net-analyzer realm needs to be modified to
run on a cluster. Mesos is the future of clustering, imho.
There are many other cool codes that can run on a cluster
for a killer-attraction-app for gentoo:  Tor, passwd crackers,
video farms, web servers, forensic-analysis, just to name a few.

Personally, I've had excellent results with jffnms, but others
find it limited. If you spend some time illuminating why nagios
is now stable (users happy with devs) then you'd likely attract
some grunts (testers) for your efforts. I sure the cluster community
would greatly appreciate a version of nagios running on mesos.

Nagios and systemd suffer quite a lot from the same disease, imho.
They surely display quite similar symptoms.

hth,
James