Hi Alec,

> I've been having a really strange issue with net-print/cups-filters for
> the last few weeks, wondering whether or not it's a bug or I just have
> something configured wrong. Somehow ${S} is defined as:
>
>     /var/tmp/portage/net-print/cups-filters-1.0.53/work/cups-filters-3.2.10
>
> and the build predictably fails.

this is a really weird error.

The only idea that I have is that some unusual environment variable is set
outside Portage, and then somehow leaks into the Portage internals.

You could check (before running emerge) if you see the "3.2.10" anywhere in
your environment ("set|less")... or if maybe $PV or $S is set outside emerge
somewhere.

If this doesnt go away, we can ask the portage guys for advice.

Best,
Andreas

--
Andreas K. Huettel