Mark David Dumlao <madumlao <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Look up. the very first post contrastd coreos' systemd as opposed
> to openrc, bringing words like "evil"ution into the park.

That refers to the concept of conglomerates vs the people.
Systemd is only mentioned in passing. If it offends you, ignore it, OK?
I did not see any of the openrc camp chime in. Besides, as was pointed
out

> later on we hear that coreos is "stealing" gentoo's ideas and hope
> that it is CRUSHED.

That references my long history with large corporations, like the MAE
system that worked fine until the US congress gave the (US) internet to
the conglomerate Telcos; and I issued a warning about that rant. It
was only to substantiate what conglomerates do to otherwise wonderful
open source projects, imho.

> but why? its its own frigging distro now. not gentoo by a long shot.

Many have stated that CoreOS is a gentoo (certainly inspired) derivative.
The focus of "MY THREAD" is the ideas and technologies that CoreOS
has lifted from Gentoo and my search for a robust "Clustering" paradigm
that is gentoo centric and thusly landed squarely where CoreOS is. I have
found many legacy codes that did the same thing as what CoreOS is doing,
but for one reason or another they were abondoned.

> On Wednesday, December 03, 2014 02:39:53 AM Mark David Dumlao wrote:
> > Why do I get the feeling that this is another episode of the "i hate
> > LennartSoft(tm) too" circlejerk on the gentoo mailing list?
> Why do I get the feeling you just want another flamewar?
> I don't see any mention of systemd or anything else written by Lennart,  >
apart from your comment.

This is correct, but, very sad. Since Gentoo is openly supporting OpenRC,
I'm staying with Gentoo. If I want a thread on Systemd, I'll be sure to
put it in the title. If systemd is casually mentioned, please don't
get your "panties in a bunch", EVERYONE, as systemd is going to fine
and the other init centric folks will be fine too.

> > this mailing list used to be about gentoo.
> It still is.

AGREED.

> > > I do not intend to follow the CoreOS commercial path. I intend to mod
> > > gentoo to achieve those attractive attributes back into my "gentoo
> > > proper".

Boy, this and many other theme sentences pretty much spell out my
interest in this thread. If anyone researches gentoo's history
there was a rich environment on HPC, distributed, and clusters; somehow
it all was allowed to atrophy and I do not find any valid reasons.
My science/math needs dictate to me a need for a robust cluster based
on Gentoo. My embedded needs dictate a need for a gentoo cluster. The
deprecation of Tinderbox at Gentoo strongly suggests a need for a gentoo
cluster. My routine admin needs dictate a need for a Gentoo Cluster.

My girlfriend likes the idea of a Gentoo cluster.

CoreOS is nothing more than something where I can robb original gentoo
thunder from, for my gentoo cluster. Other than that, I do see CoreOS
and it's primary sponsers, as *EVIL* OK? ymmv.

And finally, I think that alll init systems are going to become very
irrelevant in the next few years, as what they provide, can be passed
from a *personal cluster* to any and all hardware, dymanically. That's
what the cell phones (smart phones) do now. That is what the NSA
has been doing for over a decade now. In fact that is what most all
major nation states have been doing for a very long time. It's been
"game set match" at the transistor level and with numerous back doors
in the Rf domain, hidden deeply in the "Rf noise domain" for decades.
Historically it was called "signal intercept". Do your research or
find an accomplished EE with a few decades of experience in Rf and
listen to them. It's old hat.

Get real. Systemd is a piss_ant and is irrelevant, IMO!
Openrc is not in my critical path either, although I have a very,
very strong affection to it. It's called loyalty and much
of the symbiotic relational world is build upon loyalty. Some
do not understand this, and I cannot help those folks that do
not understand loyalty.

So, let's focus on modernizing Gentoo, shall we?

OK? (focus dude, focus).

hth,
James