On 2015-01-17, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:40:57 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>
>>> He isn't the first to make that observation.  Many have pointed out
>>> that the testing branch today seems a lot like stable Gentoo used to
>>> be, and that we err too much on the side of not making big changes.
>>>
>>> However, I'm not sure that we really are afraid of breaking things so
>>> much that many of us have just grown comfortable with the way things
>>> have been done.
>>
>> Also, in openrc Gentoo has an init system that is superior to those used
>> by other distros pre-systemd. Openrc has some of the benefits that
>> systemd offers other distros, like dependencies, so there is somewhat
>> less incentive to change.
>>

> I definitely agree here.
>
> We actually went through an rc change when we deployed openrc, and it
> worked fine.

Looking back on the timeline, I see that I went through that change
with a few systems.  I have absolutely no memory of it happening.

_That_ my friends is how it's supposed to work.  Kudos to everybody
involved.

[And it's not because I have a bad memory, I still have vivid memories
of upgrades from RH 6.0 to RH 7.0 back in 2000 -- I'm talking about
the original RedHat Linux, not RHEL.]

--
Grant