Thanks for the suggestion, Walter. Yes, I did have the jumper set to
"master", as appropriate. But see my next post.

Michael

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Walter Dnes wrote:

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 12:06:57AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote

Thanks for the idea. As I've said, I've been using this computer pretty
solidly with no indication, but that's not to say it can't happen.

Your suggestion made me look at the BIOS boot stage and I notice that my
hard drive is not reported during the BIOS boot. I have no problems
running fdisk or mounting, but when booting the BIOS does not report it.
What could cause this? Perhaps as you suggest?

 Can you check the jumpers on the drive?  In the old days, there were
just "master" and "slave".  Now there's a 3rd option "cable select",
which may be abbreviated as "CS".  It works "automagically" with Windows
but it does *NOT* work with linux.  If the jumper is set CS, set it to
master and try booting from it again.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca