Which of the different procedures did you try.  Did you run
fsck.reiserfs from a LiveCD or your old disk to see if some corruption
occurred during the data transfer?  (I guess it's too late now).

> The only error I have detected is during boot I get a warning
> "unable to open
> an initial console", the screen freezes until x is started.
> This doesn't seem to be a big problem but I would like to fix
> it -- any
> ideas????

Not entirely sure - others may want to advise better - but are you
running devfs?  It seems that this is an error thrown up when devices
are not recognised.  This would make some sense, after all this is a new
device.  With udev all you should do is restart udev and the new device
parameters would be recognised.  That should happen during a reboot
unless you have configured your machine to cache the device db?  Can you
find your /dev/console and does it have the same sylinks and access
rights as your old disk installation?  I'm not at my Linux machine now
so I can't check myself.

Finally, reset your BIOS before a reboot if you have
disconnected/reconnected drives, to recognise the new devices and their
boot order.
--
Regards,
Mick