On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 14:05:28 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Róbert Čerňanský
> <ope...@tightmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:31:15 +0100
> > Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Because this is Gentoo and you are in charge of portage, not the
> >> other way around. Portage goes as far as it can without trampling
> >> over your choices by saying "these are the changes I need you to
> >> make, press Y to accept them". It's not like you have to add one
> >> atom to package.use manually, run emerge again, add another etc.
> >
> > With --pretend and --ask options you would still be in charge.
> > Execute 'emerge -pv foo', if you do not like the changes then tweak
> > USE settings in package.use.  I would not feel any less in control
> > if I could see changes that portage wants to do and could force my
> > USE settings in package.use.
> >

> Honestly, I tend to agree with this approach.
>
> Imagine if when you typed "emerge kde-meta" the emerge program told
> you that you need to add the following 400 lines to your package
> installation list.  Then we create a install-list-cleanup program that
> looks at your world file and determines what stuff you have in your
> package installation list that aren't needed any longer.

Very good analogy.  Except that for current USE flag situation we do not
and even can not provide such install-list-cleanup program.  There is
no way to tell whether an entry in package.use is a user choice or it
is there just to satisfy some dependency.  Therefore no program can
tell if it can be cleaned or not.  Which is another manifestation why
current approach is fundamentally wrong.

--
Róbert Čerňanský
E-mail: ope...@tightmail.com