On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 06:36:16PM +0200, waben...@gmail.com wrote:
> Frank Steinmetzger <war...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > I thought about getting a wide-gamut display, namely a Dell with
> > rgb-LEDs, but in the end decided against it because its quality seems
>
> But if you buy online, you always have the option to send back a
> unsatisfactory product.
>
> > to fluctuate a lot. And while I do some photography, I don’t do it
> > professionally or deal with printing.
>
> A wide gamut monitor is a great thing even if you don't need it for
> softproofing. I shot a lot of colorful photos (e.g. from bugs, blossoms
> and live concerts with colored limelights). They look great on an
> AdobeRGB monitor but much more "boring" on a standard monitor.

If the monitor is the only means of looking at the photos and the photos are
the only reason for the monitor, then it’s not enough for me (right now
anyway). And as far as I read, watching movies on a wide gamut will not be a
very good experience, as those are tuned to look good on “normal” displays,
resulting in much oversaturated colours.

> I also thought about buying an Eizo. But they are very pricy. An
> Eizo without wide gamut, without factory calibration and without 16bit
> LUT hardware calibration costs more as my Samsung with all these
> features. Maybe the Eizo is more reliable over the years, but who knows.

I used to buy Samsung, but I don't like how they treat their customers in
recent times, so they are on my no-buy list (same as Sony). And I do have a
knack for buying more pricey stuff if it’s worth the quality. It gives me a
feeling of “mine’s better than yours”. :o) Sure, I don’t quite like the lack
of connections and features on the Eizo (such as picture-in-picture or
HDMI), but I do like their appearance (no gloss, no touch buttons, no wobbly
stand).

> Try out an Spider4. You can buy it as a new device for about 75€. Test
> the results on your monitors and when you are not satisfied, just send
> it back. No risk at all.

I’m also not a big fan of that (buying and sending back). Especially if you
buy it for a purpose and only then find out it’s not adequate or downright
broken. While it’s convenient, it produces a climate of “it’s normal that
what you buy may be crap and you’ll have to try again”. It gives
manufacturers the freedom to cut even more corners without anyone
complaints from the consumers. And it’s ecological absurdity on all ends,
considering how toxic electronic manufacturing is.

This is also why I put a lot of time and energy into research before I
purchase something pricey. For instance, I read in hardware forums and
through reviews for many weeks before I finally decided on all components
of my PC that I assembled last year. I didn’t want to get into a situation
that would force me to return something, b/c there is also risk involved -
the extra expense, parts break during shipping, or problems with the
retailer. I can’t be bothered with the hassle.

OK I noticed this has become more of a political manifesto. So I’m gonna
stop here. :)

--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Experience is a handy thing.  Sadly, you only gain it after you needed it.