> I used to convert dav to avi files with the following command
> yet a year ago:
> $ ffmpeg -i input.dav -vcodec libx264 -crf 24 output.avi
> but now, while trying to use it, I get
>> bash: ffmpeg: command not found
>
> What happened?
>
> I still have virtual/ffmpeg package installed.
> In my case it points to libav.
>

>From the ffmpeg website[1]:
FFmpeg is the leading multimedia framework ...
... It contains libavcodec, libavutil, libavformat, libavfilter,
libavdevice, libswscale and libswresample which can be used by
applications. As well as ffmpeg, ffserver, ffplay and ffprobe which
can be used by end users for transcoding, streaming and playing.

So  libav does not have all the stuff you want.

As said above read the news item it has important information about
this setting in Gentoo, anyway what you want is to have this in your
make.conf:

USE="... -libav ffmpeg ..."

[1] http://ffmpeg.org/about.html