On Sat, 16 May 2015 13:10:21 +0300, gevisz wrote:

> > I'm afraid I cannot agree with you on this.  On older PCs I would
> > rather did not have to install abi_x86_32 for packages that I don't
> > need to.  The granular approach suits me better and also aligns
> > better with the light-footed Gentoo approach.
>
> With this "light-footed approach" I had about two full-screen rubbish
> in my /etc/portage/make.conf file and kept adding on almost every
> update.

Unless your screen is IMAX-sized, two screens of text is a lot more
lightfooted than add extra libraries to nearly 200 packages - and most
of that text is comments anyway.

As Mick says, you get to choose, but the per-package approach is
definitely lighter on the system. Enabling it globally may be less work
though. I say "may" because when I tried that it introduced some
breakages, so I went for the per-package approach.

--
Neil Bothwick

Things are more like they are today than they ever have been before.