On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 May 2015 07:16:58 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>
>> Well, it can be a lot more than two screens of text.  I have 1300
>> lines of package.use, almost all of it for abi_x86_32.  I suspect that
>> this the result of stuff like steam, wine, android-sdk-update-manager,
>> and eternal-lands - all packages that involve graphics libraries and
>> toolkits with huge dependency trees.
>
> Does that include the several lines of comments, often repeated, that
> portage includes in the auto-unmask output? I just checked two systems
> for abi_x86_32 and got around 130 lines in one and 220 in the other.

Yes, it does.  The number of actual configuration lines is much
smaller of course - probably 1/5th of the total.

My point wasn't so much that this was an inordinate number of 32-bit
packages, given my list of installed packages.  It was more about the
fact that on a system that I'm trying to keep fairly minimal other
than my explicit preferences I end up with a huge config file that
tends to mix my preferences with a lot of stuff that exists solely to
satisfy the depgraph.  It would be like sticking every package I
install in my world set.

There are some ways around this which I'll probably get around to on a
rainy day:

1.  Take better advantage of the fact that package.use can be a
directory and have several files.  The 32-bit flags would go in their
own file.  Autounmask goes in a separate file with a z at the start of
the name and the intent is that lines in this file get moved to the
appropriate files.  Then from time to time the 32-bit flags can be
deleted and re-created to keep them minimal as installed packages
change.

2.  What I'd really like to get to is a point where all my systems are
defined by ansible configs or the like.  I've already started
container-izing many of my services to cut down on interactions - this
way when I do random package updates I'm not dealing with mysql
breaking or apache or whatever.  However, this increases the amount of
updating I have to do, and I'd like to bring that back down using a
tool like ansible.

--
Rich