I use:

* ranger for file management (if I need a file manager); tried MC which I
didn't like.
  Tried to use krusader (which also is a commander-like FM for kde), but it
also never worked for me...
  I just have no need for a split view in 99% of the cases, and ranger IMHO
uses the space uch better.:
* notmuch + offlineimap (with an eye on isync) + msmtp for mail - there is also
a notmuch extension for mutt:
* feh as image viewer:
* llpp for pdfs (occasionally qpdfview and evince, if I feel like it):
* urxvt as terminal:
* vim as an editor (with more than one eye on neovim ;)):
* everything inside awesome wm: