Sorry, I haven't a direct answer to your question, only a warning:
check that the supposedly external modem is a real external hardware
modem.  There's a few around which in reality are software winmodems
in-a-box.  You plug them in and then spend a lot of time wondering why
it doesn't work.  :-@

Googling around once you set your eyes on a particular USB modem usually
provides some useful clues.
--
Regards,
Mick