Am Mon, 8 Jun 2015 13:27:37 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>:

> On 2015-06-08, Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > However, the one thing that annoys me is that msmtp does not seem to have
> > any
> > sort of queue [2], so if it can't deliver an email, it must be resent,
> > which is
> > annoying for system emails.
>
> I've been using msmtp for many years, and I find I don't miss having
> an outbout mail queue.  It turns out I just don't send e-mail when
> "offline".  If I do try to send mail, and it fails, I actually like
> knowing about it imediately rather than finding out three days later
> that something's broken and nothing I've sent out in the past few days
> has actually been sent.

Perhaps I should have been more explicit about this (I did imply it), but I
use msmtp *only* for system emails, you know, from fcron, smtpd, portage, etc.
When offline, it would mean that msmtp simply times out and I only notice it
when looking through the logs.  With portage it's not a problem, but with
something like smartd that only sends notifications very rarely, it can be bad.

However, Guy-Laurent's post made me aware of the msmtpq/msmtp-queue scripts
that are installed by msmtp (but not in PATH).  I will investigate these ASAP.

Thanks
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup