On 2015-06-19 15:46, James wrote:
> Martin Vaeth <martin <at> mvath.de> writes:
>

>> James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> # PORTAGE_PROFILE=/usr/portage/profiles/arch/arm/armv7a eix -c
>>> --system No matches found.
>>
>> Obviously, this profile contains no  <at> system packages. Which
>> appears natural for an embedded profile...
>
> Obviously, one cannot obtain the profiles to other arches from the
>  data found in /usr/portage/profile, easily. Surely a front-end
> would be keen for this.
>
> Also, I had a friend on an embedded gentoo (arm) board verify  that
> the same 42 files for @system was installed on his arm board (eix
> -e --system).
>

> I surely hope that something (gui tool) convenient and robust
> becomes available; maybe GLEP64 will help.
>
> For embedded (any arch) I would expect that the @system would not
> contain all the files necessary to compile code. After all, that's
> really what cross-compiling is all about. I'm not sure a single
> packages, such as busybox really contains the best/complete codes
> that is needed on an embedded gentoo system, but that is a
> different issue.
>

> I also think there is room for another profile, between default and
> embedded where the target is a single (or focused) build for
> something like a sniffer, a data collector, a firewall, a bridge, a
> router, etc etc to have less than the "default" profile and
> specifically matched to a tuned (aggressively pruned) kernel for a
> very specific and limited purpose.  That said, I'm going to think
> about this a bit more and marinate over the postings from Andreas
> and others for a while  longer to decide what I think it should
> really be.
>

> I also think there should be a well defined path of what and how to
> migrate from embedded to minimized[focused] and default systems.
> One could experiment for example experiment with running a gentoo
> based firewall-router on an embedded gentoo system, a
> minimized[focused] gentoo system and a default profile gentoo
> system all with the same firewall-routers codes for cost and
> security and performance evaluations.
>

> Thanks to all for the excellent information and input! Sorry about
> being dense, as now Andreas's posts make more sense, but also
> highlight the shortness of breadth of gentoo's current profile
> system. It's also a "pig mess" of code, ideas and old constructs,
> imho. (note: nothing negative about the wonderful folks that have
> maintained and extended profiles over the years, but, it is time
> for a discussion and new architecture for the entire profile
> landscape, imho. Maybe after Glep 64 is usable it would be a good
> time to move forward on profile_modernizations......
>

> Others comments are welcome.
>

> James

The list of all profiles that can be chosen (for all architectures)
can be found in ${PORTDIR}/profiles/profiles.desc .  There are other
"profile-like" directories under ${PORTDIR}/profiles, but these are
only used as parents for a "complete" profile, as would be listed in
profiles.desc.  Most profiles do not change much, if anything, in the
@system set.  The @system set contains much more than you would
probably need for a dedicated, embedded device.

- --
Jonathan Callen