Hello,

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, James wrote:
>David Haller <gentoo <at> dhaller.de> writes:
[..]
>> Try compiling icedtea, libreoffice, scribus and whatnot without
>> pulling in cups, no matter the use-flags. And "sabotaging" the ebuild
>> and buildsystem to not use cups leads to failed builds, BT,TriedThat :((
[..]
>David is just pointing out yet another reason for a different minimization
>need, but still in-line with what I outlined. I just think that  the gentoo
>community should not have to go it  individually alone when such
>minimizations are desired.

Yeah, that's an extra aspect for the same "want": What's some random
server or a RasPi or whatnot, needing one Java app, need Cups for? Or
some other lib that's superfluous? Sad thing is, upstream is making it
extra hard. Upstream deps often are weird (to choose a harmless
expression) and to often extremely hard to patch out, if at all.[0]

-dnh

PS: I'm not sure how many "David"'s are here, if in doubt, refer to me
    as 'dnh', as I'm used to it anyways, ok? Oh, darn it, I've not
    adjusted my mail yet. My fault.

[0] I know I repeat myself today, but, a "fresh fish from Lutetia",
    slapped around the head of the responsible ... would at times be
    quite satisfactory :)

--
 / panic("Foooooooood fight!");               \
 \   -- /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/aha1542.c /