I've been seeing this keyboard problem for the past few weeks:  after
running some command from a bash prompt (haven't tried zsh yet) the
keyboard stops working.  Almost like somebody unplugged the keyboard
from its usb port (except that the LED on the keyboard stays lit so I
know the power is still on).

There are no error messages in journalctl or in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I don't know how to change to a console without using a ctrl-alt-Fn
keystroke from the keyboard (anyone know if it's possible?).

When I unplug the keyboard from the usb port I can see the kernel
recognize the unplug event, which makes me think that it's not a
kernel/usb bug or a broken wire in the keyboard cable.

When I re-plug the keyboard into a usb port the keyboard immediately
starts working normally again until the next time I happen to trigger
the problem by running some black-magical command from a command
prompt.  There is no particular command that causes it--it can be any
arbitrary command AFAICT.

Just one weird example:  I can be typing a URL in a web browser window
when a bash command finishes running in a terminal window and the
keyboard stops working in the middle of my typing :(

Any debugging suggestions would be most welcome.