On 2015-08-26, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> I went to the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) yesterday and
> indulged in a buying spree of 18 CD sets of my fave music (basically
> anything pop/rock/country pre-Beatles).  I now have over 20 CDs that I
> want to rip to flac eventually.  I dread the gruntwork in renaming
> tracks like track01.cdda.wav, etc.  What Gentoo ebuilds are there for
> stuff that'll get ahold of track titles?

Any of the CD ripping utilities will do that.  If you want
point/click, maybe try grip.  For command line there's abcde.  There's
also ripperx, KAudioCreator, Asunder, Audex, SoundJuicer, and probably
at least a dozen more.  There are ebuilds for pretty much all of them
(some of them in overlays).

The one I always used to use was an ncurses frontend to the usual
stuff[1] written by somebody in Germany. I've forgetten the name of it
and nothing Google finds looks familiar (haven't bought actual
physical CD in yonks, and the machine on which I last ripped one is
long since dead and gone).

If I were going to rip a CD today, I'd probably go with abcde.

> Is it in the form of metadata on the CD?

Sometimes, but rarely.

[1] cdparanoia, mp3lame, cddb, ffmpeg, mencoder, id3tag etc.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! does your DRESSING
                                  at               ROOM have enough ASPARAGUS?