Le 2015-08-29 16:56, Neil Bothwick a écrit :
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 12:00:51 -0400, Michel Catudal wrote:

I'm installing openSUSE 13.2 into a VM right now and the *default*
location for installing GRUB2 is a partition! So what's all the fuss
about?
Not all distributions are Microsoft type. Fedora comes to mind.
WTF are you on about? You complain that GRUB2 can't install to a
partition, and call such restrictions Microsoft-like. I point out that
openSUSE does indeed install GRUB2 to a partition, just ike you want, and
now you call them Microsoft-like?

So in your view, installing to  the MBR is dictatorial like Microsoft
while installing to a partition like you say you want is also Microsoft
like? I think you should take Alan's advice.

You should read more carefully, I mentioned that some distributions do not
allow it. Someone mentioned that Fedora won't let you.
I did succeed with Fedora but not during the normal installation. I have never
had problems with SuSE which used to be my favorite
before I started using gentoo and funtoo.

Forcing to use only one operating system to control the PC is dictatorial. When
I buy a computer I want to be in total control. When I have several OS
installed I do not want one of them wiping out my bootloader access.

My main system is gentoo and when I goof on an update I fall back on funtoo
until I get time to fix the issue. My other installs are SuSE, Fedora. I also
had centos and scientific linux before one of my hard disks died. I will
probably install them again.

Matter closed as I am getting bored discussing the issue, since both sides will never agree on the subject there is no point in talking any more about it. Some people just will never understand the necessity for us doing the kind of work I do for the need to have a reliable bootloader that is independant of any OS.

Michel

--
For Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal