On 02/09/15 12:23, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 01, 2015 9:22:44 PM Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 05:05:09PM -0600, the...@sys-concept.com
>> wrote:
>>>>
> *EVERYTHING*
>>>
>>> This kind of language does not belong here. If you can not
>>> refrain yourself making sarcastic remarks don't make any
>>> comments.
>>
>> This language occasionally belongs on this list.
>>
>>> I would appreciate you stop reading my posts at all. I don't
>>> belong to Gentoo community.
>>
>> OK. Maybe we all got off on the wrong foot here. When you ask for
>> help, can you please provide:
>>
>> * the *exact* command you ran * the output of `emerge --info' *
>> the whole error, not just the part you think is relevant
>>
>> It is incredibly difficult for us to help when we only get a
>> small piece of what's going on with your system.
>>
>> Alec
>>

> He was told what the problem was on his first post about
> libjpeg-turbo, he didn't just ignore it but posted the wrong
> solution with a big SOLVED on the subject that only serves to
> mislead future users of this list. On his last post about this same
> error (different package) I politely told him to go back and follow
> the advise on that post, again he ignored it and posted a bogus
> solution (it worked because he rebuilt tiff, perl had nothing to do
> with it). revdep-rebuild may (or may not) fix it now, but the right
> solution is to remove or fix the obsolete package to depend on
> virtual/jpeg, update world properly, and then revdep-rebuild to
> undo this mess.

So someone posted an issue(s), then marked it solved when they got a
workaround which may not resolve the actual issue but got them past
their initial problem(s).

Your argument to that is that their "false solution" will mislead
future readers of the list. Doesn't the same apply to insulting
participants of the list? Not to mention this comes shortly after a
discussion about attracting new blood into the Gentoo community.

You don't have to participate in this thread. You could also simply
say "I said in your previous posts that you need to do /this/."

We should never resort to insults and name calling if we want this to
be a productive list. If there's a problem with someone, either stop
replying to their messages, take it up with them directly (and
diplomatically), or bring it up with the list owner [1,2].

1: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
2: gentoo-user+ow...@lists.gentoo.org

- --
wraeth <wra...@wraeth.id.au>