When I try to run emerge on my system I get:

 * Your boot partition was not mounted at /boot, so it will be automounted for
you.
 * Files will be installed there for grub to function correctly.
>>> Running pre-merge checks for dev-db/mysql-5.6.26
>>> Running pre-merge checks for net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.4.9-r200
>>> Running pre-merge checks for mail-client/thunderbird-38.2.0
The directory specified in your PORTAGE_TMPDIR variable, '/var/tmp/notmpfs',
does not exist.  Please create this directory or correct your PORTAGE_TMPDIR
setting.

my fstab:
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults        0 0
shm                     /dev/shm        tmpfs
defaults,nodev,nosuid,mode=1777 0 0
tmpfs           /var/tmp/portage        tmpfs           defaults      0 0

ll /var/tmp/
total 0
drwxrwxrwt 4 portage portage 80 Sep  4 23:04 portage

Do I need to create dir: /var/tmp/notmpfs ?
My other systems did not show any such message.

--
Thelma