On 09/05/2015 08:16 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 05/09/2015 16:08, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:

>>> Are you trying to have portage's work directory on tmpfs?  If so, I have
>>> this in fstab:
>>>
>>> tmpfs                   /var/tmp/portage tmpfs          noatime
>>> 0 0
>>>
>>> I don't have anything in fstab for PORTAGE_TMPDIR tho.  According to
>>> this, you do need to create the directory if you are making exceptions.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs#Per-Package_Choices_at_Compile_Time
>>>
>>> |root #||mkdir /var/tmp/notmpfs |
>>> |root #||chown portage:portage /var/tmp/notmpfs |
>>>
>>> Hope that helps.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>
>> I had this configuration already set:
>> /etc/portage/env/notmpfs.conf
>> PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp/notmpfs"
>>
>> /etc/portage/package.env
>> mail-client/thunderbird notmpfs.conf
>> www-client/firefox notmpfs.conf
>>
>> What was missing was only directory:
>> /var/tmp/notmpfs
>>
>> I'll remove "tmpfs" from fstab
>

> I don't understand why you have that set of configs at all, it is
> needlessly complicated. What is all that stuff about "notmpfs"?
>
> You do that one of two ways:
>
> 1. If you don't have enough spare RAM or need to keep your build dir on
> a spinning disk, then do nothing. Add nothing to fstab, add nothing to
> env configs for portage, do not mount anything at /var/tmp/portage. The
> build dir will be on the same volume as /var/tmp
>
> 2. If you do have the spare RAM, by all means use a tmpfs - it speeds
> build times up amazingly. Put a tmpfs entry in fstab and nothing else.
> Voila, instant speed up. Libreoffice build time is halved.
>
> 2a. If you have spare RAM but not gobs and gobs of it (eg 8G tmpfs is
> pushing it), then stick with #2, but add specific env overrides for huge
> packages like libreoffice and firefox to use some other temp dir on disk
> for building and not /var/tmp/portage

I have 8Gb RAM and this setup I had was to compile larger ebuilds like: firefox
and thunderbird

tmpfs           /var/tmp/portage        tmpfs           defaults      0 0

The above in fstab creates
tmpfs           3.9G   39M  3.9G   1% /var/tmp/portage

When I removed my setup with
/etc/portage/package.env
/etc/portage/env/notmpfs.conf

Firefox complains it can not compile as there is not enough disk space:
* Checking for at least 4 GiB disk space at
"/var/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-38.2.0/temp" ...

What is my best option? Go back to previous setup with package.env notmpfs.conf
or increase tmpfs to 5Gb eg:
tmpfs           /var/tmp/portage        tmpfs           rw,size=5G      0 0

Thelma