On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 22:22:32 +0100
Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just noticed that the driver for my old printer no longer shows up
> in cups, on one of my PCs.  Comparison with other PCs shows that this
> one does *not* have the hpijs USE set.
>
> Could someone who also does not have hpijs set in their hplip tell me
> if the HP DeskJet 930C selection is missing, when they load up the
> GUI via https://127.0.0.1:631 and then try to modify a printer?
>
> Until this week there wasn't a problem with this PC so I am not sure
> what changed ...
>
> I've set it up with DeskJet 932c for now without USE=hpijs and it
> seems to work, so I am in two minds if I need hpijs or if I need to
> use the 930c driver anyway.

Sometime in the past few days hpijs came to my attention in a way that
escapes me at the moment, but I remember being puzzled by it.  What is
also puzzling is that hpijs doesn't show up here in the output of eix:

Installed versions:  2.0.4^t(06:49:33 AM 08/28/2015)(X acl dbus java
pam python ssl systemd threads -debug -kerberos -lprng-compat -selinux
-static-libs -usb -xinetd -zeroconf ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32"
ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32"
ELIBC="-FreeBSD" LINGUAS="-ca -cs -de -es -fr -it -ja -pt_BR -ru"
PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7") Homepage:            http://www.cups.org/

When I run ufed, though, I do see an hpijs useflag described, because
it's listed in /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc (dated today).
Here is a good use for the new git-based portage tree (which I'm not
using yet, BTW):

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/

I just spent 10 minutes searching through the commits related to cups
and I can't find anything about hpijs, but I know there's something
strange going on with that useflag.